Interestingly, there was no difference in the ratings of the unpleasant videos between any of the groups. Only positive videos were affected by the smiling / non-smiling condition. Soussignan argues that this supports the notion that smiling will accentuate a positive emotional experience, but will have no effect on a negative experience.
This might also explain why it's so difficult to get a gloomy teenager to smile.
1. Give yourself permission to be human. Accept emotions.
2. Happiness lies at the intersection between pleasure and meaning.
3. Keep in mind that happiness is mostly dependent on our state of mind, not on our status or the state of our bank account.
4. Simplify! We compromise on our happiness by trying to do too much.
5. Remember the mind-body connection. What we do — or don't do — with our bodies influences our mind.
6. Express gratitude, whenever possible. Don't take for granted, appreciate and savor the wonderful things in life, from people to food, from nature to a smile.